Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Comparing Vancouver to Viçosa




Comparing Vancouver to my city, Viçosa, in Brazil it's quite difficult. It seems to me that there are only differences, no similarities.

In the opposition of Viçosa, Vancouver is a big, touristic and economically important city. My city instead, has few industries and the most important employer there is the commerce. Most people, including me, live there because one big University is located in that place. This is the reason why in vacation period, when most of the students go back to their parents' house, some establishments temporarily close its doors.
The weather of Vancouver is also different from my hometown. Here in Canada it rains more often and - of course - it's colder.

As far as I'm concerned, globalisation has changed many things everywhere regardless of the size of the place. In my opinion globalisation only brought positive things to Viçosa, especially concerning to communication. My aunt studied there 30 years ago and she told me that it was hard to talk to her mother at that time and the newspaper that she used to read was from 2 days before. Now everything has changed, we are able to acess wireless internet and of course we read the newspaper of the same day. I believe that globalisation also brought more people from different places from Brazil, and from the world too, to Viçosa and that is a positive thing.

No comments: